Here's what we had for dinner tonight. And yes, you can serve it with iced/sweet tea (of course).
|Killer Couscous Salad|
- sharp knife (of course)
- vegetable peeler
- small to medium sized pot
- hand-juicer (the old fashioned kind)
- large bowl
- 2 boxes instant Parmesan couscous
- 1 large cucumber
- fresh basil (at least 3 tablespoons worth)
- 2 bunches green onions
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot
- 1/4 lb. low sodium turkey breast from deli
- Before preparing veggies, begin boiling water on stove for couscous. Follow package direction. Make couscous. After preparing, let it cool then fluff it with a fork.
- Use peeler to peel outside of cucumber, then slice in 1/2. De-seed. Then use knife to chop into little bits. Put it in your bowl.
- Use peeler to peel carrot into super-thin curls. Add to bowl.
- Open packet of fresh basil. Smell basil. Smells like summer, doesn't it? Now rip off the leaves & chop finely with knife. You know what's next. Bowl.
- Chop the green onions finely. Yep it's going in the bowl again.
- Chop the turkey breast, but if you wish, you can omit the turkey if you're vegan or want the salad a little bit lighter. It's great either way. Add to bowl.
- Fold the couscous into the bowl and mix ingredients.
- Slice lemons in half, juice the lemons & add the juice to the bowl, drizzling it evenly over the veggie/couscous mixture.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the veggie/couscous mixture evenly.
- Chop the turkey breast finely, but you may leave the meat out to enjoy this dish meat-free.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients one last time.
- You can serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator to serve cool later. It's wonderful any way you decide to serve it.
|It's so freakin' awesome, even Wyatt wanted a taste of couscous salad!|
Nah, he didn't. He just really wanted some turkey. Here he
is doing the "I'm cute, see me standing on my hind legs for food" dance.